November 10, 2023
Your Year-End Giving Guide
Thank you for your continued generosity and support of our community. Greater Houston Community Foundation is proud to be your philanthropic partner. If you have any questions regarding your year-end giving, please reach out to our Donor Services Department, [email protected] or 713-333-2210, or your Philanthropic Advisor for assistance.
- DonorSphere: Show your support for our local nonprofit community by recommending a grant from your fund. Log in to your DonorSphere account today!
- Giving Guide of Houston’s Black-led Organizations: This guide was created to make information on Black-led organizations available to Greater Houston Community Foundation staff, donors, and local private foundations. We continue to work with donors and Black nonprofit leaders as we seek to improve this resource in 2023.
- Humanitarian Aid:Our hearts remain with those impacted in Israel, Gaza, and around the world. The Foundation has curated a list of nonprofit organizations leading humanitarian aid efforts for civilians and refugees in Israel and Gaza. These resources will offer the support needed in the coming days, months, and years to help those impacted. Our philanthropic advisors are available should you have any further questions on how you can support those impacted during this tragic time.
- Supporting Organizations: Greater Houston Community Foundation provides administrative support to several entities with powerful missions. As you give back during this season of thanks, we ask you to consider supporting these wonderful client organizations and their community impact!
- Understanding Houston: This collaborative initiative, led by Greater Houston Community Foundation, empowers donors, community leaders, and residents with access to independent data and information they can use to effect positive change in our community.
Year-End Giving Deadlines
Check or Stock Certificate
Postmark on or before 12/31/23
Please contact the Donor Services Department before submitting your stock transfer to ensure that your charitable deduction is appropriately credited.
Call the Donor Services Department if you need assistance with the following items: Private Stock, Tendered Stock, or Restricted Stock.
Submit a completed letter of instruction to the firm holding the fund shares and send a copy to [email protected].
Due to high volume, grants requested after this date might not reach their destination by the close of the year.
Submit a completed letter of instruction to the firm holding your stock and send a copy to [email protected].
Instruct your financial institution to wire funds to Greater Houston Community Foundation. Also, please contact the Donor Services Department before submitting your wire transfer to ensure that your charitable deduction is appropriately credited.
For security reasons, the wire instructions are not emailed but may be found here.
*If these items are not received into the Foundation account by 12/31/23, the IRS will not allow a 2023 deduction. Please contact [email protected] to ensure your intended gift is appropriately credited.
Stocks & Other Securities
When you give securities (stocks, bonds, mutual funds), you may be eligible for a double tax benefit: 1) You receive an income tax deduction for the full current fair market value of the assets and 2) you may completely avoid capital gains tax on the appreciation, or increase in value, of the assets. This is one of the easiest gifts to give and one of the most useful in accomplishing your philanthropic goals. To take your next steps, please contact our team.
Charitable Distributions From IRA Accounts
IRAs may NOT make charitable distributions to a Donor Advised Fund (DAF). Please do not have your IRA custodian send a distribution to your DAF as that may be treated as a taxable distribution to you.
NOTE: IRAs can make charitable distributions to Greater Houston Community Foundation for general operations, or to our Community Impact initiatives and Field of Interest Funds.
Greater Houston Community Foundation does not provide tax advice or services. Please consult your personal advisor with questions regarding your tax planning.